Who is Helen Eby, at Gaucha Translations?
I am a translator and an interpreter. I cover a lot of territory, but I have background in a lot of areas. These are my specialties.
I am a member of the Cuatro Mosqueteras , a team writing a blog on how to improve Spanish writing. I grew up in Argentina, where I became an English and Spanish teacher. I am a Spanish translator and interpreter:
- American Translators Association-Certified Translator from Spanish into English #438552
- Washington State DSHS Certified Document Translator from English into Spanish
- Oregon Certified Court Interpreter, Spanish
- Oregon Certified Health Care Interpreter, Spanish
Click here to learn about translation certification.
Click here to learn about interpreting certification.
Because of my experience with education at a high level in both Spanish and English, I am comfortable with the technical details of science and the humanities in both languages.
- Medical student at the University of Buenos Aires, covering Anatomy, Histology, Embryology, Physics, Chemistry, Physiology
- Studied at the Instituto Argentino de Secretarias Ejecutivas in Buenos Aires where I learned intricacies about the business side of working in an office. We were introduced to the basics of accounting, legal issues, and other topics. In my translation work I find that I understand these concepts very well because of this training.
- Experience as an Administrative Assistant for Cormick, a business that imported equipment for the railroad industry in Argentina, preparing bids for submission. When bids came in late in the afternoon, I always was able to meet the deadlines for submission the next morning. Meeting deadlines was very important. Now I understand why businesses have last-minute translation needs, and am very willing to help with them.
- I sailed on sailboats from the time I was eight years old. I also assisted the Purser and the Captain of the MV Logos in the preparation of documents for customs and immigration in the ports of all Spanish speaking countries of Latin America except for Honduras, Colombia, Uruguay and Mexico. This experience launched me on the road toward becoming a professional translator.
- In Argentina, as a sailor, I earned the timonel de yate a vela certificate from the Prefectura Naval Argentina de San Isidro. In Boston, I earned the helmsman certificate from Community Boating, Inc.
- Education specialty
- Home-school teacher of high school college prep courses in biology, chemistry, physics, pre-calculus, history, government, and literature. I have taught individual students and group lessons. My children were National Merit Finalists and received very high scores on College Board math and science subject tests.
- Adjunct professor of Spanish at Gordon College, Wenham, MA.
- Graduated as a primary education teacher (grades 1-7) of English and Spanish from the Escuela Normal de Maestras en Lenguas Vivas “John F. Kennedy”, Buenos Aires, Argentina.